Diversity Access Scholarship (Institution Equity Scholarship)
UTS offers the Diversity Access Scholarship program to assist students from low socio-economic backgrounds who may also be experiencing other forms of educational disadvantage which make it difficult to achieve their educational goals.
This scholarship is available to undergraduate, postgraduate and research students.
Please read the Conditions of Award for full details of the Scholarship.
Value and duration
This scholarship is valued at between $500 and $2,500 per session, with a maximum duration of two sessions.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must be able to demonstrate financial hardship in one of two ways:
- through receiving a means-tested Commonwealth income support payment (such as Parenting Payment Single, Disability Support Pension, Carers Allowance, Newstart, Austudy, ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance), OR
- by providing comprehensive information demonstrating exceptional financial hardship.
- Australian citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency status or New Zealand Citizenship
- Enrolment or intended enrolment at UTS in a minimum of 18 credit points/semester, unless exceptional circumstances (such as a long-term medical condition or disability, and/or sole parent or carer responsibilities) apply.
Course area(s)All courses.
Selection is determined on a relative needs basis, prioritising applicants who are able to demonstrate multiple educational disadvantages in addition to Financial Hardship, via the UAC Equity Scholarship application. These disadvantages include:
- Rural or regional background
- Sole parent responsibilities
- Carer responsibilities
- Long-term medical condition / disability or ongoing effect of abuse
- Indigenous Australian
- Refugee background
Please note that receiving the scholarship in one year, does not automatically make you eligible to receive it in future years. All applicants must submit a new Equity Scholarship application each year via UAC to be considered for the Diversity Access Scholarship.
When applying through UAC for UTS Equity Scholarships, Family Tax Benefit will not be considered as demonstrative of financial hardship. Only applicants receiving a Centrelink means-tested income support payment, or demonstrating exceptional financial hardship with supporting evidence will be considered.
If your situation changes after you have submitted your ES application, for example:
- you receive the Centrelink benefit you previously indicated you were expecting to receive; or
- you start receiving a Centrelink benefit that you previously did not include on your application; or
- you believe you now qualify for another educational disadvantage; or
- you now have additional documentation supplementing an educational disadvantage that you believe affects your eligibility
Please submit the supporting documentation to UAC as soon as possible as this may affect your eligibility for an Equity Scholarship. Go to UAC Applicant Services to download your document package which outlines the required documentation you need to submit.
How to apply
The Diversity Access Scholarship has an online application form (opens an external site) which is available on the UAC Equity Scholarships website during the application period.
2017 Application Key Dates
UTS intends to make Diversity Access Scholarship offers progressively via UAC up until the final round in July 2017. Offer dates can be found on UAC's website at http://www.uac.edu.au/equity/institution-offers.shtml (opens an external site).
On-time closing date to be considered in the January Main Round is: Friday 6 January 2017
Final closing date for Equity Scholarships to be considered is: Wednesday 12 July 2017
Final Equity Scholarships Online outcomes for 2017 offers: Monday 24 July 2017
Opening date: 03 August 2016
Closing date: 12 July 2017