On This Page
The ATN’s Industry Doctoral Training Centre (IDTC) is an innovative, Australia-wide industry research training program for students of ATN universities, including UTS. It offers industry-based master’s by research and PhDs in the following disciplines:
- Information Technology
- Information Sciences
As a student in the IDTC, you’ll undertake a research degree that’s based in industry. You’ll work closely with an industry partner, developing research solutions to solve real-world problems, and you’ll graduate with a wealth of industry-relevant skills that will shape your future career.
An industry PhD is the same length, rigour and quality as a university PhD, with a few key differences:
- The PhD project originates in industry, not academia
- The program contains coursework and professional development components, aimed at the development of technical and executive leadership skills
- You can undertake a PhD with your current employer, or be matched with another organisation aligned to your research interest
- You’ll spend a significant period of your candidature working at the industry partner site
You’ll also develop vital professional skills through the ATN’s E-Grad School, attend events and build your networks across all five ATN universities, and work alongside academic and industry leaders over the course of your degree.
IDTC industry partners come from a wide range of sectors, including banking, mining and energy, government and not-for-profit. Previous industry partners include Rio Tinto, NAB, Cray, Bureau of Meteorology, State Government Departments, ASIC, Ausgrid, Orpheous Capitals, Hunter Industrial Medicines and the Australian Red Cross.
2017 IDTC scholarship applications are now open.
- Prospective students must meet existing requirements to enter a PhD or master's program at UTS
- Apart from being selected to the IDTC program on the basis of merit, students will be considered based on their willingness to undertake research training on an available industry project, and will be invited to interview to assess their non-academic merit for suitability before final acceptance
For information on how to apply, visit the ATN Industry Doctoral Training Centre website.
For more information, visit the ATN Industry Doctoral Training Centre website.