Supervisor: Professor Gamini Dissanayake
Lakshitha is a PhD student working on Robot Localisation and Navigation related Technologies. He graduated from the Department of Electronics and Telecommunications Engieering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka with First Class honours in the degree of Bachelor of the Science of Engineering. He then worked as a Network engineer at Millennium Information Technologies Ltd in Sri Lanka, for approximately 2 years where he had the opportunity to work with leading telecommunications providers. Utilising his technical expertise, he contributed to the expansion and design of core service provider networks.
In 2012, Lakshitha joined Centre for Autonomous Systems, UTS as a Masters Student which was converted into a PhD in 2013. He is currently based in Blacksburg, VA, USA, working as a Visiting Research Scholar at Terrestrial Robotics Engineering and Controls Lab(TREC) at Virginia Tech, USA. He will be a part of the Virginia Tech team that competes at the DARPA Robotics Challenge 2015 held in California, USA on the 05-06th June, 2015. After the competition, he will return to CAS to resume work on his thesis.
The research topic he is working on is “Navigation and Control for Assistive Robotics”. This is an effort to translate the advances in robotics to prolong the independence of elderly and disabled and to help their carers fulfil their responsbilities more safely and efficiently.
- "Smart Hoist: An Assistive Robot to Aid Carers” is a modification of a standard patient lifter to have motor assisted manoeuvring and other features to help carers in their daily work as well as reduce back injuries associated with using a standard hoist.
- “Smart Buildings: Green UTS Through Ambient Intelligence”. Design, develop and deployment of a wireless sensor network test-bed that is capable of monitoring environmental parameters inside buildings, such as light level, humidity, temperature, CO2 levels etc., analyse and visualise them to provide added intelligence for reducing the energy consumption.
- “Smart Hoist: An Assistive Robot to Aid Carers,” Ranasinghe, R.; Dantanarayana, L.; Tran, A.; Lie; S., Behrens, M.; Liu, L., Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV), IEEE International Conference on, 2014, Singapore.
- “A Novel Collaboratively Designed Robot to Assist Carers,” Dantanarayana, L.; Ranasinghe, R.; Tran, A.; Dissanayake, G; Liu, D, Social Robotics, 5th International Conference on, 2014, Sydney, Australia
- "C-LOG: A Chamfer Distance based method for localisation in occupancy grid-maps," Dantanarayana, L.; Ranasinghe, R.; Dissanayake, G., Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2013 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on , vol., no., pp.376,381, 3-7 Nov. 2013, Tokyo, Japan.