On This Page
The ATN’s Industry Doctoral Training Centre (IDTC) is an innovative Australia-wide industry research training program focused on providing solutions to real industry challenges. This unique program combines cutting-edge theory and traditional master's and PhD research training with professional and broad technical skills required by industry from diverse sectors including commercial organisations, government, research organisations, and not-for-profit sectors.
In the IDTC program:
- Research students (master's by research and doctoral students) collaborate with an industry partner to work on an industry/organisation problem, where solutions are driven by fundamentals of mathematical, statistical, information technology, and information sciences.
- Students undertake tailored coursework units in research methods, advanced technical areas, and professional skills.
- Students attend regular networking and cohort training events to develop professional skills, participate in workshops, and learn technical courses.
The main features of the new program are:
- the PhD project will originate in industry, not academia
- the student associated with the project may be a present employee of the industry partner
- the program will contain coursework and professional development components, aimed at the development of technical and executive leadership skills
- the student will spend a significant amount of time of their candidature working at the industry partner site
IDTC graduates are industry-ready, equipped with highly-developed communication and technical skills which underpin their future career success no matter where their journey takes them. Our students have or are working with some of Australia’s well recognised organisations, in sectors such as banking, mining and energy, government and not-for-profit. Our industry partners include: Rio Tinto, NAB, Cray, Bureau of Meteorology, State Government Departments, ASIC, Ausgrid, Orpheous Capitals, Hunter Industrial Medicines, and the Australian Red Cross.
As an IDTC student you will:
- Develop vital transferable/professional skills such as project management, leadership and communication, research commercialisation, entrepreneurship, public policy and global sustainability, delivered through the ATN’s E-Grad school. These modules will be tailored to your needs and background.
- Attend regular networking events, conferences, workshops, and connect with world-class researchers across all five ATN universities.
- Develop skills and experience in demand from industry.
- Learn and apply cutting-edge theory, and utilise world-class research facilities to real industry challenges.
- Collaborate and learn from leaders in business.
- Graduate with the skills and knowledge needed by industry, to succeed in an array of employment environments.
2017 IDTC scholarship applications are now open. For more information, visit the scholarships section on the ATN's IDTC website.
For more information on the ATN Industry Doctoral Training Centre please visit the ATN's IDTC website.