UTS hosts the annual green hero awards to recognise and celebrate UTS students, staff and alumni making a personal contribution to progress sustainability.
Initiatives undertaken might include work at UTS or in the broader community.
The awards aim to celebrate participation, showcase impressive initiatives and inspire others to get involved.
The 2016 UTS Green Hero Award winners were;
- 1st Daisy Amanaki works in ITD and initiated the UTS donation of furniture (600 desks and chairs) from building 2, to schools in the Cook Islands.
- 2nd (a tie, so two winners) Tess Corkish is a Communications student and 2016 UTS Environment Officer. She is actively involved in Catholic Earthcare, runs volunteer programs in schools and plans to attend this year’s World Youth Day in Poland.
- 2nd Dr Ian Mcgregor an academic and ambassador for action on climate change. He led a UTS delegation of four to last year's Paris Climate Summit, and since 2010 has successfully championed the inclusion of sustainability in courses across the Business School.
- 3rd Lucy Chen is the Campaigns Coordinator of UTS student club EcoSoc and also an active member of AYCC (Australian Youth Climate Coalition). She is also an active online activist.
The judging criteria are:
- Identify - will a wide spectrum of the UTS community identify with and be able to understand the activity.
- Influence - does the activity have the potential to inspire and motivate others.
- Involve - could the activity potentially involve others.
- Impact - is the activity tangible with real sustainability impacts and benefits.
Equal consideration is given to initiatives of any size and scale.
Previous winner, Frank Ruggiero with fan club
- 1st prize - Two whale watching tickets with Whale Watching Sydney
- 2nd prize - $150 voucher with the Coop bookshop
- 3rd prize - Two 'think. green. do' UTS branded Keep Cups and hamper of Fair Trade treats
The judging panel each year is:
- UTS deputy vice chancellor and vice president (resources)
- UTS manager, sustainability
- President UTS Students’ Association
The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence is entered into.
For more information see terms and conditions.
For more information email.
Nominate your green hero
2017 nominations will open soon. Winners will be announced on World Environment Day 5 June.