UTS hosts the annual green hero awards to recognise and celebrate UTS students, staff and alumni making a personal contribution to progress sustainability.
Initiatives undertaken might include work at UTS or in the broader community.
The awards aim to celebrate participation, showcase impressive initiatives and inspire others to get involved. Winners are announced on World Environment Day, 5 June.
Congratulations to our 2017 winners
- 1st Dr Dena Fam – who passionately involves students and staff in living lab projects around campus such as organics waste, urine diversion, reuse, and others.
- 2nd (a tie, so two winners) Rebecca Pagnucco - a Masters student exploring a new type of oil boom made from recycled human hair waste. She is also a Peer Mentor for UTS undergraduate students.
- 2nd Gillian Leahy - founding member of Whites Creek Community Garden which uses sustainable gardening methods, and includes education programs.
- 3rd Jing Zhao - facilitated the move by the UTS Graduate Research School from paper files to a full digital system, dramatically cutting paper use.
See the full list of all 2017 nominees here
The judging criteria are:
- Identify - will a wide spectrum of the UTS community identify with and be able to understand the activity.
- Influence - does the activity have the potential to inspire and motivate others.
- Involve - could the activity potentially involve others.
- Impact - is the activity tangible with real sustainability impacts and benefits.
Equal consideration is given to initiatives of any size and scale.
Previous winner, Frank Ruggiero with fan club
- 1st prize - Two tickets for a guided kayaking tour on Sydney Harbour
- 2nd prize - $150 Coles/Myer voucher
- 3rd prize - Two 'think. green. do' UTS branded Keep Cups and hamper of Fair Trade treats
The judging panel each year is:
- UTS deputy vice chancellor and vice president (resources)
- UTS manager, sustainability
- President UTS Students’ Association
The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence is entered into.
For more information see terms and conditions.
For more information email.
Nominate your green hero
2018 nominations will open in April 2018.