UTS site search

Essential information

Financial support

The UTS Financial Assistance service offers interest-free student loans and emergency cash loans to students who satisfy the eligibility criteria. They also offer advice and assistance, including online self-help resources.

International students can also access relevant information on financial aid, fees and scholarships directly through UTS International.

Many local and international students look for casual or part-time work to assist towards living expenses. If you are planning to find work, the UTS Careers Services has online application information as well as up-to-date job listings.

If you are financially disadvantaged, UTS offers scholarships to help cover the costs associated with higher education. If you think you may be eligible, you can apply for Equity Scholarships (opens an external site), through UAC.

Many UTS Faculties also offer scholarships to assist students with course related costs. For a list of scholarships on offer please use the scholarships search tool.


Australian Indigenous students

Indigenous students are encouraged to contact the UTS Equity and Diversity Unit and the Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning for information about support programs offered within the university. Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships are available for applications through the UTS Scholarships Office.


Getting started with Centrelink

Local UTS students should also research their eligibility for income support through Centrelink.

Start by looking to see if you are eligible for any of the three 'student income support payment' types - Youth Allowance (YA), Austudy or Abstudy (open external sites).

If you believe you satisfy the eligibility criteria, you will then need to register online (opens an external site) to receive fortnightly payments. After you have registered with Centrelink, and once you are enrolled in your subjects at UTS, you will need to provide proof of your enrolment at UTS, and proof of income to a Centrelink office.

In most cases, you will need to be enrolled in a full-time study load, i.e. a minimum of 18 credit points in each session. A standard full time study load is 24 credit points per session.

It will take Centrelink 4-6 weeks to process your application. If accepted, you will receive payments backdated to the date on which you initially registered.


Other Centrelink information

Pensions and other benefits (opens an external website).

Contact telephone numbers (opens an external site) for each of the Centrelink specialised customer service areas.


Tuition fees for local students

HECS-HELP and FEE-Help are deferred payment and Commonwealth Government loan options to assist you in paying your tuition fees if you meet the eligibility criteria.

To find out more about this, go to the Australian Government Study Assist website (opens an external website).