UTS site search

Commencing students

Australian student visa

You will need to obtain a student visa to study in Australia unless you hold another type of visa which permits you to study. It can take several weeks for your visa application to be processed so it is important to begin the visa application process as soon as you have received your offer from UTS.

For further information on student visas refer to the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website (opens an external site). There is also a blog on the DIBP website covering various topics about student visas.

Applying for an Australian student visa - commencing students

If you are applying to UTS through a UTS representative, they will help you prepare your student visa application. If you are applying directly to UTS, contact your nearest Australian immigration office (opens an external site) to find out where and how to submit your student visa application.

Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF)

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) has a simplified student visa framework (SSVF) in place that applies to all international students.

Important information about SSVF

UTS is an approved SSVF provider and recruits students into its degree courses under the SSVF arrangements of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). SSVF enables students to obtain their student visa quickly and usually with less documentation required.

International students apply for a single Student visa (subclass 500) regardless of their chosen course of study. When you are granted a visa under SSVF you must continue to maintain enrolment in an eligible course, and continue to have sufficient financial capacity to support your study and stay in Australia.

All Student visa (subclass 500) holders must maintain enrolment at the same level or a higher Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) level for which they were granted a visa, unless they are undertaking a doctoral degree (AQF10) and transfer to a master’s degree (AQF9). Transferring to a lower AQF level course or transferring from an AQF level course to a non-AQF Award course is a breach of the student visa condition and might result in the visa being cancelled.

Students who want to change to a lower level course or non-award course must apply for, and be granted, a new student visa before they change their course. You must take this important information into account when choosing a course and if considering a course change or a move to another provider..

Visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website (opens an external website) for information about changing your course and meeting the conditions of your student visa, or for more detail about SSVF (opens an external website).

Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

After you have accepted your offer at UTS, we will send you an CoE. You will need your CoE to apply for your student visa.

If you have not yet accepted your offer, visit the Accepting and deferring page for instructions.

Students under 18

Students under the age of 18 must satisfy extra requirements before a student visa can be granted. They have to make arrangements for accommodation, support and general welfare while in Australia. Because UTS is not able to arrange or approve accommodation for international students under 18, you will need to ensure that you are able to reside with a parent or legal guardian or suitable relative in Sydney. You will need to demonstrate suitable accommodation arrangements when you apply for your student visa.

Note: student guardian visas are available for your parent or guardian to come to Australia to care for you while you are here. View the information on students under 18 years  (opens an external site), on the DIBP website.

Renewing your student visa - continuing and commencing students

If the following circumstances apply, you will need to change or renew your student visa during your stay in Australia.

Commencing a new course at UTS

If you have commenced a new course at UTS you should have received a new CoE. Contact UTS International student services if you need another copy of your CoE.

Extending your stay in Australia

If your student visa will expire before you complete your studies, you will need to renew it.

It is very important that you renew your visa before it expires. It is your responsibility to be aware of your visa expiry date and to renew it in time.

If you are renewing your visa because you are extending your current course, you must first apply for a new CoE. To do this you need to speak to a Student Adviser in International Student Services. This process is not automatic - you must satisfy certain conditions to be able to extend your course.

For further information on renewing your student visa please read the information about extending your stay (opens an external site) on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website. You will need to click on the 'Visa holders' section and you will find information about extending your stay in Australia. 

Changing your education level

You will also need to renew your student visa if you have changed to a course with a different education level. The education levels are: School, ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students), Vocational Education (e.g. TAFE), Higher Education Coursework, Higher Education Research, and Non-Award. For example, if you currently hold a Schools Sector visa and have commenced an undergraduate course at UTS, you must apply for a new visa.

How to renew your visa

For further information on renewing your student visa please visit the Extending your stay section (opens an external site) of the DIBP website. You will need to click on the 'Visa holders' section and you will find information about extending your stay in Australia. 

Student visa conditions

It is your responsibility as the visa applicant or holder to be aware of the conditions and requirements of your student visa (opens an external site). You can find out more about your student visa conditions from the DIBP website and their blog.

Read more information about your

in the Essential Information for International students section.