The UTS Jumbunna Unistart Program is a pathway into university study for persons of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent. Unistart is a full time, one year course designed for students who:
- Have completed Year 12 but may not have the ATAR required to gain entry to the degree they want
- Have completed a TAFE or College qualification and wish to continue their studies
- Are adult learners who may have had a break from formal study, and are now looking to add university to their achievements
Unistart classes are small, collaborative and culturally based. Small group and individual tutoring sessions are held in the Jumbunna learning centre, and provide lots of opportunity to interact with other Indigenous students and staff.
Students who successfully complete Unistart go straight into the first year of their chosen course at UTS, with up to half a year of credit (24 points) towards their degree.
What support is available to Unistart students?
If you participate in Unistart, you will have a dedicated support team working with you to:
- Develop academic skills in relation to your chosen area of study
- Assist with enrolment, ABSTUDY, scholarships, housing and other aspects of university life
Plus you will have 24 hours, 7 days a week access to Jumbunna’s student lounge and resources.
What will I actually study?
Each session, students take two academic development subjects to build up literacy, critical thinking, numeracy, planning and organisation skills.
Students also take two faculty subjects per session and can choose subjects from: Nursing, Midwifery, Sport and Exercise Science, Law, Design or Education.
Subjects from other UTS courses may also be selected in consultation with the Unistart Coordinator.
How do I apply for Unistart?
If you would like to participate in Unistart, apply online for the Jumbunna Pathways Program now! Applications are now open and will close 1 October 2017.
If you have any questions about applying, or the Unistart program, contact the Jumbunna team on 1800 064 312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org