The Graduate Diploma of Sports Media is a niche qualification that prepares you for a sports-focused media career. With an emphasis on journalism, public relations and foundational communication, it’s the only postgraduate course of its kind in Sydney. You’ll gain hands-on experience in sports management, sports administration and marketing, audience development and reporting. You’ll also learn to develop sports stories across text, video and audio. Whatever your passion, get ready to give your game a voice.
- Love the game?
Make the transition from the bench to the press box with an industry relevant sports media degree.
- You’re unique. So are we
The Graduate Diploma in Sports Media is the only postgraduate university course of its kind in Sydney.
- Get your hands dirty
UTS’s unique arrangement with the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust provides in-house, hands-on element to every aspect of the course, no matter which code you’re keen on.
- Build broad expertise
The course is delivered by teachers from UTS’s School of Communication and School of Business, along with leading industry practitioners.
- Don’t just think — do
Our courses emphasise reflective and practice-oriented learning, ensuring you build both strategic and practical skills.
- Start your postgraduate study sooner by enrolling in an Autumn or Spring intake – whichever suits your situation best! Click for more information on how to apply to UTS postgraduate courses.
Career options include reporter, producer, presenter and editor across all forms of sport media and sporting bodies, along with marketing manager, brand strategist, digital strategist, and public relations officer.
You’ll graduate with a highly tailored skillset, ready for a range of sports media, promotional and administrative roles. Skills include:
- a critical understanding of sports media and its multiple formats
- strong and flexible research, reporting and production skills
- the ability drive sports-focused content across digital and emerging platforms, channels and disciplines
- an understanding of innovation as a key driver of new ideas, effective problem solving and audience engagement
- knowledge of current ethical, professional and policy debates in sport.
Completion of a UTS bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent qualification, or submission of other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates your potential to pursue graduate studies.
Don’t meet these criteria? You can provide a personal statement (approximately 500 words) explaining why you want to study the course, and a CV that details paid and voluntary work or other experiences that are relevant to the degree.
- Information events: Postgraduate Info Eve
- Postgraduate fee information including available financial support through FEE-HELP
- Discipline Coordinator: Peter Fray
- CRICOS code 092502E