UTS site search

Financial help

Tax returns

2016 Tax Help

The UTS Tax Help Centre is open to UTS staff and students, who have earned less than $50,000 for the tax year 2015-2016 and who have a straight-forward income schedule (from salaries, interest and dividends) for the year. Our Centre offers free assistance to those who are eligible, in the Spring semester each year. We are open from 1 August to 31 October 2016. 

Our Tax Help Centre is run by UTS Financial Assistance together with the ATO Tax Help Program. Our consultants are trained and accredited by the Australian Tax Office (ATO), Tax Help Program, and are volunteer students selected from UTS Accounting, Business and Law programs.

The service is provided free-of-charge .

Our volunteers can:

  • help you submit your current tax return
  • show you how to submit your own tax returns for future years
  • work out if a tax return is necessary in your case.

We can’t help you with:

  • business tax returns
  • partnership and trust matters
  • capital gains tax
  • rental properties.

In some cases, low income earners do not need to lodge a tax return. If it is not necessary, and you lodged a return last year, it is important for the ATO to know this. You can speak to one of our volunteers about non-lodgement.

Overseas students who are temporary residents and enrolled in a course that is more than six-months long are generally taxed as an Australian Resident. If you are leaving Australia permanently, you can lodge your tax return with the ATO before the end of the financial year (30 June), and can apply for the repayment of any superannuation contributions made by your employer. Temporary residents should complete the 'Departing Australia Superannuation Payment' (DASP) with the ATO to reclaim their superanuation contributions.


You are eligible to access the service if you are an international student, an Australian citizen, permanent resident, on any work-permitting visa or humanitarian visa;

and your income was received through:

  • pensions
  • Australian government benefits and allowances, such as unemployment, Youth Allowance, Aus/Abstudy or sickness benefits
  • salary or wages
  • dividends
  • managed funds
  • interest.

If in doubt, please refer to the ATO Tax Help Centre  Client Eligibilty Flowchart  (PDF 63KB, one page).

What documents to bring

To prepare your tax return, you must bring the information  as itemised  (PDF 62KB, one page) to the appointment.


To lodge your tax return you are required to set up a MyGov account. If you have not already registered your personal online MyGov account, we will assist you.

Please bring:

1. Your Tax File Number

2. A valid, personal email address


Provide any 2 items of the following documents which will enable the link between your MyGov account to your ATO service:

  1. Your Bank account details (if you have received a bank transfer from a previous tax return to this account)
  2. Your Superannuation account details (one from the last 5 years)
  3. Your PAYG Payment Summary (one from the last 2 years)

If you are unable to bring two of the above requirements, then please bring

1. Your passport

Where and when to find us 

The service opens on 01 August 2016, ending 30 October 2016.

We’re located at the Student Services Unit, Level 6, Tower Building. To make a booking, call 9514 1177.

Other tax help centres

Here are some volunteer organisations that can help with tax close to the UTS City campus. You’ll need to contact the organization and make an appointment.

Who and WhereContact details

Harris Community Centre
97 Quarry St, Ultimo

9552 1140
Tanya Plibersek MP Offices
150 Broadway, Chippendale
9379 0700

Australian Chinese Community Association
Rockdale Centre, 452 Princess Highway, Rockdale
6 Bridge Street, Granville

9597 5455
9637 9913
City of Sydney, Glebe Neighbourhood Centre
Glebe Town Hall, 160 St Johns Rd, Glebe
9298 3187
South Sydney Community Aid
180 George Street, Redfern 
9319 4073
Newton Neighbourhood Centre
1 Bedford Street, Newtown
9516 4755

Walla Mulla Community Centre
49 McElhorne Street, Wolloomooloo

9368 1381

Lodging your own tax return

To lodge your own tax return, use the official Tax Office online preparation and lodgement software, myGov (opens an external site).