On This Page
We offer UTS students free and qualified assistance with lodging their tax returns.
The UTS Tax Help Centre is open to UTS staff and students, who
- have earned less than $50,000 for the tax year 2016-2017 and who
- have an income earnings from employer salaries (PAYG); interest and dividends. This excludes income from ABN contracts and other tax schedules.
Our Tax Help Centre:
- offers assistance in the Spring session from 25 July to 31 October 2017
- is located at Student Services Unit SSU (Lvl 6;Bldg1)
- will take bookings from 17 July per telephone (9514 1177) or in person at SSU reception
Our Tax Help Centre is:
- run by UTS Financial Assistance together with the ATO Tax Help Program
- staffed by UTS volunteer consultants trained and accredited by the Australian Tax Office (ATO), Tax Help Program.
Our volunteers can:
- help you submit your current tax PAYG return
- show you how to submit your own tax returns for future years
- advise if a tax return is necessary in your case. You can speak to one of our volunteers about non-lodgement
In some cases, low income earners do not need to lodge a tax return. If it is not necessary, and you lodged a return last year, it is important for the ATO to know this.
We can’t help you with:
- business tax returns
- partnership and trust matters
- capital gains tax
- rental property tax income shedules
Overseas students who are temporary residents and enrolled in a course that is more than six-months long are generally taxed as an Australian Resident. If you are leaving Australia permanently, you can lodge your tax return with the ATO before the end of the financial year (30 June), and can apply for the repayment of any superannuation contributions made by your employer. Temporary residents should complete the 'Departing Australia Superannuation Payment' (DASP) (opens external site) with the ATO to reclaim their superanuation contributions.
You are eligible to access the service if:
- you are an international student, an Australian citizen, permanent resident, on any work-permitting visa or humanitarian visa;
and your income was received through:
- Australian government benefits and allowances, such as unemployment, Youth Allowance, Aus/Abstudy or sickness benefits
- salary or wages as an employee, casual, part-time or full-time
- managed funds
If in doubt, please refer to the ATO Tax Help Centre Client Eligibilty Flowchart (PDF 63KB, one page).
What documents to bring
To prepare your tax return, you must bring the information as itemised (PDF 62KB, one page) to the appointment.
To lodge your tax return you are required to set up a MyGov account (opens external site). If you have not already registered your personal online MyGov account, we will assist you.
1. Your Tax File Number
2. A valid, personal email address
3. Your MYGov log-ons for the ATO portal, if already set-up
Provide any 2 items of the following documents which will enable the link between your MyGov account to your ATO service:
- Your Bank account details (if you have received a bank transfer from a previous tax return to this account)
- Your Superannuation account details (one from the last 5 years)
- Your PAYG Payment Summary (one from the last 2 years)
If you are unable to bring two of the above requirements, then please bring
1. Your passport
Where and when to find us
The service opens on 25 July 2017, ending 31 October 2017.
We’re located at the Student Services Unit, Level 6, Tower Building. To make a booking, call 9514 1177.
Here are some volunteer organisations that can help with tax close to the UTS City campus. You’ll need to contact the organization and make an appointment.
|Who and Where||Contact details|
Harris Community Centre
|Tanya Plibersek MP Offices|
150 Broadway, Chippendale
Australian Chinese Community Association
|City of Sydney, Glebe Neighbourhood Centre|
Glebe Town Hall, 160 St Johns Rd, Glebe
|South Sydney Community Aid|
180 George Street, Redfern
|Newton Neighbourhood Centre|
1 Bedford Street, Newtown
Walla Mulla Community Centre
To lodge your own tax return, use the official Tax Office online preparation and lodgement software, myGov (opens an external site).