UTS site search

Financial help


Students seeking loans to assist with living expenses or course related costs may enquire if they are eligible for any of the following:

UTS short-term student loans

All students, domestic and international, currently enrolled in an award course at UTS, who are experiencing short-term cash flow problems may be eligible for an interest free student loan. These loans are generally capped at $500. Applicants may apply through the Financial Assistance Service and must meet eligibility criteria. Find out more from the short-term loans page.

Government HELP loans

The Government administers five Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) loan schemes (opens external site) to assist local students with their tuition fees. The right loan for you will depend on your course of study, eligibility and additional factors. These loans include the HECS HELP, FEE HELP, SA HELP and the OS HELP for local university students studying both in Australia and abroad.
New Zealand citizens who are holders of SC Visas may be eligible for the HELP loan(s) from 1 January 2016. For details see:

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helpfulresources/pages/faqs-nz (opens external site)

See also UTS domestic fees and payment for additional information.

External loans

If you wish to borrow a larger amount, you may wish to seek a loan from a financial institution. Credit Unions and banks offer loans of various terms and types (opens an external site) including possible deferred payment options. 

Mozo (opens an external site) offers a comparison of loans currently advertised on the market- remember to check the interest rates and repayment arrangements carefully.