UTS site search

Financial help

Centrelink information

Centrelink (opens an external site) is the official Australian Government agency that assesses income, oversees payments and keeps people informed of benefits, allowances and pension payments as per the Social Security Laws. If you’re a local student (not on a temporary entry visa) you may be eligible for student income support through Centrelink.

Student income support is paid fortnightly to students on a proven low income, who have been assessed as eligible by Centrelink.

You can access preliminary information to the Centrelink student income support payments (Youth Allowance, Austudy and Abstudy) and assess your eligibility in these pages.

Changes to Centrelink policy 

Students can subscribe to the Centrelink email brodcast letters, to remain fully up-to-date on changes to Centrelink student income support rulings.

Detailed information and changes are published online by Centrelink - see the relevant Centrelink pages (opens an external site).

Where to start 

To help you work out if you are eligible for Centrelink payments, check out the Youth AllowanceAustudy and Abstudy guidelines.

If you think you may be eligible for any of the allowances/support payments, you will need to register for this online (opens an external site).

Find out about study loads required for Centrelink.

More information 

For the latest updates and application information, please see the Centrelink website, and its contact page.