Professor Andrew Parfitt
Professor Andrew Parfitt is Provost and Senior Vice-President of the University of Technology Sydney. He began his role in February 2017.
As the primary academic officer, the Provost is the Second-In-Charge to the Vice-Chancellor and oversees the academic activities of the University. This includes a particular focus on:
- management of the overall academic operations of the University, including management of the Faculties
- overseeing the whole of institution deployment of Indigenous strategy, education and support
- responsibility for Equity and Diversity Unit which promotes social inclusion and widening participation initiatives at UTS
- University-wide strategic planning, quality assurance, performance monitoring and reporting, including oversight of Key Performance Indicators
- development of University planning targets
- Commonwealth funding agreement and broad academic profile management
- Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning
- Planning and Quality Unit
- Equity and Diversity Unit
- Internal Audit Unit
Previously Andrew was Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) at the University of Newcastle, Australia. He has also held positions as Pro Vice-Chancellor and Vice President: Division of IT, Engineering and the Environment at the University of South Australia, Director of the Institute for Telecommunications Research at the University of South Australia, CEO of the Cooperative Research Centre for Satellite Systems, General Manager of Space Programs in CSIRO and Associate Dean in the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Adelaide.
Andrew’s area of academic expertise is telecommunications engineering, including antenna and radio systems research. He holds BE and PhD degrees in Electrical & Electronic Engineering from the University of Adelaide and has published more than 100 technical papers in refereed conferences and journals and has been involved in securing many millions of project and grant funding through a range of mechanisms to support teaching, research and infrastructure.
He is a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) and a Fellow of Engineers Australia and has previously held adjunct academic appointments at Adelaide, Sydney and Macquarie Universities.
Andrew is a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, and has been a member of many government, professional and industry boards and committees, including as:
- chair of both the South Australia and NSW Sections of the IEEE
- chair of the Australian Academy of Science National Committee for Radio Science
- a director of the Defence Teaming Centre
- a director of the Technology Industry Association, and
- a member of the South Australian Defence Reserves Support Council.
From 2010 to 2012 Professor Parfitt was a ministerial appointment to the Commonwealth Government’s Space Industry Innovation Council and he is currently Chair of the Universities Admissions Centre in NSW.
He has served on advisory committees to the Board of Studies, Teaching and Education Standards (BOSTES) in NSW and the Australian Institute of Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) in the area of Initial Teacher Education.
PO Box 123
Broadway NSW 2007
Tel: +61 2 9514 1350