Australia Piano Quartet
Evgeny Ukhanov (piano), Thomas Rann (cello),
Rebecca Chan (violin), James Wannan (viola)
“The ensemble, each a soloist and an individual in their own right performed this substantial programme with empathy, technical ease and exemplary musicianship.”
– Sounds Like Sydney
The Australia Piano Quartet (AQ) is establishing a reputation as one of Sydney’s premier international chamber music ambassadors. In 2011 Thomas Rann, James Wannan, Tamara Anna Cislowska and Veronique Serret established the Australia Quartet. During the following three years AQ has toured nationally (including performances at Melbourne Recital Centre and Elder Hall Adelaide), established a series at Sydney’s Independent Theatre, successfully debuted at the Sydney Opera House’s Utzon Room, appeared annually on ABC Classic FM’s Sunday Live, and created an innovative collaborative concert series as Ensemble in Residence at UTS.
Following the successful 2013 season, Thomas Rann and James Wannan are delighted to welcome violinist Rebecca Chan and pianist Evgeny Ukhanov as members of the ensemble. 2014 is a year of further growth with performances throughout Australia, a three concert series presented by Sydney Opera House at the Utzon Room, an expanded six- project collaborative concert series at UTS, as well as performances in the UK (Barbican Centre London) and Austria confirmed for 2015.
The Australia Piano Quartet aims to become one of the few piano quartets to join the ranks of the world’s great chamber ensembles. The players’ passion for the piano quartet stems from their love of the extraordinary repertoire and the unique qualities of the ensemble itself: a synthesis of the soloistic sonority of a string quartet with the orchestral power of the piano.
AQ’s mission is to challenge the boundaries of chamber music by collaborating across creative media and art forms, including commissioning today’s composers. The quartet’s residency at UTS provides a valuable platform for exploring musical innovation through performance. This fresh outlook allows AQ to present reinvigorated interpretations of canonic masterpieces while unearthing the many neglected piano quartet works of past and present.
The UTS residency in 2014 involves six projects that aim for cross-departmental conversations. Through the commissioning of innovative new works by Australian composers Jack Symonds, Nicholas Vines, Lyle Chan and Alex Pozniak, AQ seeks to be a potent and forward-looking creative force in the University. Building on the successful animation project in 2013, AQ will work with architecture, journalism and electronic music students, as well as running a composition competition and an educational concert series.
- Please see our Facebook page
News and reviews
- Mozart meets Electronics, UTS:Newsroom, 28 May 2014
- Mozart goes electronic, Elissa Blake, Sydney Morning Herald, 15 May 2014
- The Australia Quartet at the Utzon Room, ABC Classic FM, 15 May 2014
- The Australia Quartet's Inspirations Recital, ABC Classic FM, 28 January 2014
- Australia Quartet’s Transfigured Night was a night of celebration, Kate Tribe, classikON
- Concert review: Australia Quartet 'Transfigured Night', Shamistha de Soysa, SoundsLikeSydney
- Extended interview from ABC Classic FM breakfast jam, Friday 19 April 2013
- Interview with Tamara Anna Cislowska, SOUNDBOARD, April Issue 2013
- If you can’t beat it, join it, UTS:Newsroom, 17 April 2013
- Concert 4 review: Australia Quartet at UTS, Kate Tribe, classikON
- Concert 3 review: Standing room only, Kate Tribe, classikON