On This Page
The Equity & Diversity Unit advise and assists UTS students and staff who have an equity-related complaints. The unit also advises managers or supervisors about appropriate equity-related complaint resolution processes.
We take equity-related complaints seriously and are committed to eliminating discrimination and harassment in university study and work environments. However, staff and students have the right to seek advice or pursue their complaint externally.
Students and staff can also seek assistance for personal support needs from UTS: Counselling.
An equity-related complaint is when you believe you are being discriminated against or harassed in your work or study because of your:
- sex (including pregnancy)
- sexual preference
- transgender status
- ethnic or ethno-religious background
- descent or national identity
- marital status
- political conviction
- religious belief
Complaints that do not involve allegations of unlawful discrimination or harassment on one of the above grounds are non equity-related complaints.
This cover all types of complaints and are based on confidentiality, impartiality, protection from victimisation and prompt resolution.
Principles for complaint resolution at UTS are:
- Managers and supervisors have the responsibility to identify and attempt to prevent or redress problems in the university
- Where possible, grievances are resolved at the lowest appropriate level of management
- Complaints are responded to as quickly as possible in the circumstances
- Procedural fairness is observed for each party in all aspects of handling a complaint
- No grievance is pre-judged
- Confidentiality is respected
- Resolution of the grievance takes into account wherever possible the preferred process of resolution of the person who made the complaint. However, there may be instances where a complaint is of such a serious nature that formal action is required
- Staff and students have a responsibility not to pursue grievances with a mischievous or malicious intent
To make an equity-related complaint contact the Equity & Diversity Unit on 9514 1084 or email email@example.com